Saturday, January 15, 2011

Three Inspirational Songs... and their Meanings to Me.

I have a few songs that I want to show you that are inspirational and very meaningful to me. I have provided a little story as well to further explain them. I suggest listening to these songs if you are ever in need of help and there is nobody there. They helped solve a lot of my problems, so maybe they'll do the same for you.

1. Swim - Jack's Mannequin



THIS song gets me every time. "Swim" is a true masterpiece. Andy really outdid himself on this this one. Like most of his songs, this is about leukemia. This is the second single for their second album. It has received many positive reviews and memories.
I quote this song all the time to my friends. I had a friend in a really difficult class, and she was struggling to keep up. She said that she didn't think she could go any longer with this. And I sang this song for her... and it convinced her to keep going. Somewhere inside of her, this song made sense and gave her the strength to carry on.
What I think Andy is trying to say is that when things seem bad, don't give up; you need to "keep your head above" and you'll be alright. Don't give in, because life is the horizon.

2. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley



I love this song... Originally written by Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley made a cover of it for his 1994 album, Grace. This song charted a sensational #1 on the Billboard's Hot Digital songs. Ever since, other artists have sung it again, and it has become both a religious symbol and a household term for 'finally.'
I had a friend who was dying of heart disease. She sang this song constantly to try and cheer her up. It made her smile in her last few days, which amazed all of us. The day after she died, me and the rest of her friends cried over her listening to this song. At first we thought it was reminding us that she was gone. But then we realized it was reminding us who were were and who she was and who she tried to be. This song helped us get through that... it might help you get through anything you have that's troubling you.

3. How To Save A Life - The Fray



"How To Save A Life" is the seventh longest charting song on the Hot Billboard 100 Chart in history, tied with Santana's "Seed." It is the Fray's second single, and probably their most famous song to date. It is on the album sharing the same name.
One night I got into a fight with my best friend. We called each other nasty names and screamed things at one another. I can't believe how brutal it was. And the next day, we both felt like crap. Neither of us felt like apologizing, so it was up to this song to save us. I text my friend all the lyrics to this song, and it touched them so much that we made up and became best friends again. This song is very powerful.
Disclaimer: the songs and videos rights belong to each artist respectively. I own nothing. No copyright infringement intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment